10 reasons to travel in winter
I'm the type of person who will take winter over summer, any ol' day! It could be because I was born in the middle of winter? For me, winter is my time of year! I adore dressing in layers, thick winter coats and accessories, the sound of rain on a tin roof, or if I'm really lucky, wandering an exciting new city while snow falls on my head. So, I'm a strong believer that travelling in winter, if dressed appropriately, is the best time to explore.
Now, I know some of you will be reading this article thinking 'girl you gone crazy'! But for me, winter motivates me to get moving, to make the most of the daylight, and do as much as possible! Summer on the other hand, isn't a time for exploring, but relaxing on my local beach with a peach iced tea in hand and SPF 50+ in the other. Travelling during winter, isn't for some, and for that I thank you – because of you, I experience less crowds, lower prices, and more flexibility!
Here are my top 10 reasons I love to travel in winter!
1. Beat the crowds during winter. It's something we've all heard before, but it's true! Even for Europe. Picture walking into the Colosseum without even lining up, wandering Pompeii without a soul in sight, and only being surrounded by locals in a quaint German town.
2. Food is much more satisfying and comforting when your body is cold. Fact.
3. Christmas lights, trees, songs and markets, oh my!
4. Mulled wine... need I say more?
5. Off peak rates at accommodation and attractions.
6. There's not much chance things will sell out. Sometimes, they'll go on sale in a desperate attempt to fill a spot. So flexibility, is certainly an option!
7. That hopeful feeling you'll spot the aurora!
8. Snow covered anything and everything is a plus, especially for an Australian.
9. Walking all day seems far less strenuous when you're not sweating your ass off in 40 degree heat.
10. Last but not least, the romance of it all.
What are your thoughts on travelling in winter? Are you a fan?